Thursday, May 14, 2015

Love vs. Grace

The other night at church, I found myself frustrated while a group of believers were lovingly speaking truth to someone who was discouraged.  They were surrounding this guy with love and making him feel good.  But, in my mind, they could have mentioned even more powerful truths!!

Haha, wow.  How did I get to this place?  This place where I care more about “pure” grace and truth, than love.  I feel like somewhere along the way, I missed the whole point.  So I told Holy Spirit I didn’t like what I had become, and was immediately comforted and encouraged by him; very gently.  He made me feel loved, yet again!  Here’s what he told me.

We were created to be loved by Dad.  He is love.  Every fiber of his being is love.  He didn’t create us for grace and truth.  Grace and truth came through Jesus to support his love.  For us!! 

Dad was so excited when he created us!  All he wanted to do was walk and talk with us, in the cool of the day.  In the back of his mind, he wasn’t thinking, “Boy, I sure hope Adam falls so I can show him grace and truth.”  No; he never wanted that.  But when Adam did fall, he didn’t freak out.  His plan guaranteed we would always stay with him, no matter what.  That plan was grace, also known as Jesus.  But his son was never the focus.  We are the focus!  Jesus simply allows us to stay in a place where we can receive Dad’s love.  Unconditionally.  100% of the time; no matter what!  And whats even more exciting is that Jesus loves us too.  Just as much as Dad!  Now thats a lot of love. 



Today, a lot of people are getting excited about grace, which is good.  But grace is not exciting by itself.  The only reason grace is exciting is because it allows us to receive Dad’s love, and ignore thoughts telling us we have to “earn it”, or that we can “lose it”.  Grace is the vehicle that brings us, and protects us, in Dad’s love.  But the destination is love!  Love is what we were created for; not grace.

“If I have the gift of prophesy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, but do not have love, I have nothing” (1 Cor 13:2).

Understanding ‘grace and truth’ falls under the knowledge category.  Yes, it’s highly beneficial to understand what Jesus did.  He did an amazing thing, and continues to do amazing things.  But if his finished work did anything, it was simply to protect us; so we can receive Dad’s powerful love, all the time.

People don’t want doctrine.  People want to be loved.  If your doctrine is getting in the way of loving people, ditch the doctrine.  And if your doctrine makes it hard to receive Dad’s love, read the bible again.  That book will give you the confidence and assurance to do nothing but receive Dad’s love.  Every second of every day. 


He loves us soooo much!!!  He's completely infatuated with us.  He's very proud of us and loves to make us happy, because we bring him so much happiness.  Jesus finished work is our safety bubble to do nothing but soak in Dad’s love forever, and ever, and ever!!

No comments:

Post a Comment